NZ Building Code Compliance: Interconnected Smoke Alarm Requirements.
Important Update: November 2023 Regulation Changes
Starting November 2023, the Building Code Acceptable Solutions for Protection from Fire (C/AS1 and C/AS2) are set to change significantly. The revision mandates interconnected smoke alarms as the minimum fire safety system for newly constructed homes and substantial renovations, aligning with NZS 4514:2021 – Interconnected smoke alarms for houses. These alarms can be interconnected wirelessly or through hard wiring, with options for either 10-year long-life battery-powered or 240v mains powered systems.
Please Note: These changes will undergo a 12-month transition period, concluding in November 2024.
Key Points of the New Regulation:
- Smoke alarms must be 10-year long-life battery-operated (non-removable/sealed) or 240v mains powered and interconnected.
- Compliance with international standards such as BS EN 14604, AS3786, UL 217, CAN/ULC S531, or ISO 12239 is mandatory.
- Interconnection is required for households with multiple alarms, ensuring all units sound when one is triggered.
- Required installation of smoke alarms in all bedrooms, living spaces, hallways, and landings.
- Multi-level households must have a minimum of one smoke alarm per level.
- All units must feature a hush and test button and be installed on or near the ceiling.
- Kitchens separated by doors require a manufacturer-approved alarm, potentially a heat alarm to prevent false triggers.
For a comprehensive understanding of these changes, download and review the Standards New Zealand – NZS 4514:2021 document.
Disclaimer: The provided information serves as a guide. For complete details, refer to the NZS 4514:2021 standard.
Introducing Ajax Systems: Your Solution for Building Code Compliant Alarms
In light of the new regulations, it’s paramount for homeowners and contractors to find products that not only comply with the standards but also blend efficiency with aesthetics. That’s where Ajax Systems steps in.
Ajax FireProtect is a state-of-the-art solution that aligns perfectly with the updated NZ Building Code. Our products are renowned for their reliability, innovative technology, and sleek design, making them an ideal choice for any household.
Why Choose Ajax?
- Compliance and Reliability: Our alarms meet the necessary NZ standards, ensuring your home is compliant and protected.
- Innovative Interconnection: Ajax alarms support wireless interconnection, meaning a triggered alarm will set off all others in your home, maximizing your reaction time.
- Versatile Options: We offer both 10-year battery-operated and 240v mains powered smoke alarms, in addition to thermal heat alarms and smart remote controls.
- Aesthetic Excellence: Our Wireless Family, 10 Year Photoelectric Smoke Alarm, is notably the most compact and aesthetically pleasing battery-operated interconnected alarm in NZ. With flush mounted or recessed installation options, it maintains a low-profile look, seamlessly blending into your home decor.
- Advanced Installation: The Wireless Family, Recessed Mains Powered Photoelectric Smoke Alarm, stands out as the smallest and most aesthetically pleasing 240v interconnected alarm available. Its minimalistic design ensures it complements your home without compromise.
For a safer home that meets the new regulations without sacrificing aesthetic appeal, choose Ajax.